I’ve been using Visual Studio 2010 Schema Compare for deploying database changes from one environment to another (development to staging, staging to production), but I have ran into an annoying bug that I would love some enlightenment on.
I am trying to compare a database on our staging SQL server to our production server and after selecting the two databases and clicking “Compare”, Visual Studio immediately crashes.
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: devenv.exe
Problem Signature 02: 10.0.30319.1
Problem Signature 03: 4ba1fab3
Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.Data.Schema.Sql
Problem Signature 05: 10.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1d812
Problem Signature 07: 2f6c
Problem Signature 08: 24
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
information about the problem:
our privacy statement online:
online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement
What’s odd about this particular problem, is that other databases on the staging server can be compared to their production counterparts without problem. Additionally, this particular database was able to be backed up and restored to our development environment and a schema compare could be ran between development and production.
If anyone has any tips on this, please leave a comment explaining. If you’re having this issue, please note that as a workaround, it seems to be working to backup and restore the database. I also plan on posting this to Microsoft as well and I will update the post if I find anything.